Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Growing Up in a Fat House

My father was of average weight. My mother was very heavy. I didn't really notice how heavy, though, until I was a teenager.

As a child I remember snippets of weight related incidents. I remember one morning my mother being very happy. She was singing while making breakfast. I asked my father why mom was in such a good mood. His reply was a criptic "she's just happy because of what she saw on the scale this morning". It was probably the first time I understood that my mother was not happy with how much she weighed.

Another remembrance: My mother started driving us to school every morning. After riding a school bus for the first 5 years of my academic career I was not sorry in the least for our sudden good fortune. The reason for the rides was not really discussed, but I figured out that my mother was going to a weight loss clinic every morning for a shot and weigh in. I have no idea what was in the shot and I didn't ask. Excess weight was not talked about in our house.

Once I hit my teens I was all too consciously aware of how heavy my mother really was. I agonized over it. I felt personally picked on. I would look around at other "normal weight" mothers and think to myself that their kids had no idea what I was dealing with. When I would find another woman whose weight was close to my own mother's weight I would feel a kinship with her children and silently think "I know what you're going through, buddy." One particularly horrifying day I remember being in a store with my mother and seeing some other kids from my school come in. I was so afraid that they would figure out that my mother was the fat lady that I hid from her. That day is horrifying in my memory because I now know how horrible I was. I'm ashamed of myself.

In short I was a self-centered, self-conscious, prick of a teenager. I thought it was all about me. Now that I find myself in a similar situation in struggling with my weight I feel ashamed and sick at heart for the heartless thoughts and feelings I had while growing up. I know now how despairing feelings come with carrying all that extra weight and not being able to do a thing about it.

5 comments:

  1. Hi there! I found you through a comment you left on Fat Girl Dives In's blog. I love finding people who are at their beginning of their blogs so I can follow along instead of going WAY back in the archives to catch up.

    My name is Tammy and I just started my weight loss blog 7 weeks ago! I've lost 20 lbs so far and have 92 to go. Who are you? Where ya' from? Didn't see anything on your profile. :( I'd love to get to know you as I follow along on your travels!! :) Click on my name and come check me out sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops....I have 72 to go...so hard to adjust the mind to the fact that it's actually falling off now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I have the tiniest mother ever but my dad struggled with his weight his whole life. I think most of my childhood weight related trauma has been blocked out of my mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tina!! Where are you girlfriend??? Haven't heard from you in days and days!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a very honest post. Thanks for sharing...

    - Lisa
    http://losewithlisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete