Monday, August 3, 2009

The Club No One Wants to Join

Life is full of them. Bunches and groups.

Children - usually under the age of 12. There are subcategories of course, ie. infants, toddlers, preschoolers, and so on.

Teenagers - anyone who's age ends in the subfix "teen". 'Nuff said.

Adults - the rest. Of course there are subcategories here as well. Young Adults, Middle Agers, Empty Nesters, and Senior Citizens, among others.

In school there are other ways of division among classmates; popular and not, smart and not, the haves and the have-nots.

It's just a fact of life that populations are divided into "clubs", or bunches and groups.

There is a club that no one chooses to join. Everyone is aware of this subset of people and most of us live in terror that one day we will join their ranks.

It's a silent club. You recognize other members by sight alone. One quick look and you know. Only the crass and truly obnoxious among us will point out anyone's club membership.

I am speaking of course of the overweight.

This is my story. How I evolved into one of them, what difficulties I've had to face, what exhilarating triumphs and crushing blows I've experienced, and the science behind weight management. I hope you will join me as I talk the talk and walk the walk of a reluctant heavyweight.

No comments:

Post a Comment